Monday, August 5, 2013

Barn wood table



  I am always questioned as to where I find the wood for my furniture. I smile and say that some wood is purchased from a barn wood supply company, some has come from barns that I have taken down and some has been purchased at yard sales. The yard sale comment always seems to raise an eyebrow as if I'm pulling their leg. Well, it's true, the wood that was used for the top of this table was found at a yard sale.

  The yard sale was just a few miles away from the shop at a house with a very weathered pole barn out back. After looking through the goods that were out for sale I asked if there was anything in the building. Sure was, everything that was too heavy to move to the front yard was in the barn and for sale. I found enough items that day that I had to make a trip home to get a trailer in order to get everything back to the shop.

  These yard sale boards were a full 2" thick, nearly 10" wide and 14' long. I have had them in storage for a while and finally decided to build something with them. The table pictured above is what I built. The pictures are a bit deceiving, this table is much larger than it appears. It measures 37 1/2" wide, 89 3/4" long and 30" tall. The live edge slab legs are 2 3/4" thick and are bolted to the top with heavy gauge 3" angle steel. All together the table weighs 209 pounds.

  If you would like to purchase this table or inquire about having a piece of furniture custom built please contact me through email at mattpiccolo@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment